Western Union microwave relay sites survey: Part III
Site Name: Brandywine
Call Sign: KGB29
County: New Castle
Municipality: Brandywine Hundred
Address: West Side Ebright Road
Type of Facility: Relay
Original Tower Height: 100′
The only Western Union relay located in the state of Delaware was built in New Castle County north of Wilmington near the Pennsylvania state line at the intersection of Ebright Street and Ramblewood Drive. Known locally as “Tower Hill,” this location at 447.85′ above mean sea level is the highest natural elevation in Delaware. Western Union constructed a 100′ tower at this site on property the company purchased from Richard and Evelyn Merchant on 18 September 1945. The company paid $1,200.00 for 0.992 acre and it owned the site until 1974 when New Jersey-based Lutner, Inc. bought it for $6,000.00. Four years later, Lutner sold it to amateur radio enthusiast Robin McCray. The tower currently is used by amateur radio and commercial tenants.
In 2003 the tower, cab, and equipment building were intact. Alterations to the tower were limited to the collocation of multiple whip (omni-directional) antennas.
© 2010 David S. Rotenstein