Western Union microwave relay sites survey: Part IV
Site Name: Honey Brook
Call Sign: KGB36
Municipality: West Cain Township
Address: Telegraph Road
Type of Facility: Relay
Original Tower Height: 60′
This relay site is located in West Cain Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, in an area known as Baron Hills at an elevation of 955′ above mean sea level. Western Union’s subsidiary the Telegraph Realty Company acquired a 0.92 acre parcel from Martin and Mary Andes in October 1945. Two years later the parcel was transferred to the Realty Company’s parent, the Western Union Telegraph Company. Western Union owned the property until July 1969 when it sold the relay site to Electro-Site, Inc. The following year Electro-Site changed its name to Edgemont Electronics. In 1974 Chester County seized the property for back taxes owed and the County sold it to Charles Hazzard who then sold it to Garden Spot Leasing Company in 1979. Triangle Communications in 1985 then purchased the property and it remains the property owner.
Western Union constructed a 60′ tower at this relay site. The tower, cab, and equipment building were at the site and in service by Triangle Communications. Alterations to the tower include the addition of whip antennas, cellular/PCS panel antenna arrays, and extender masts raising the tower’s height above the cab level.
© 2010 David S. Rotenstein