Western Union microwave relay sites survey: Part IX
Site Name: Little Savage
Call Sign: KGB45
Address: East side SR 546 (Finzel Road)
Type of Facility: Relay
Original Tower Height: 120′
This relay site is located east of Maryland Route 546 approximately 1.12 mile north of U.S. 40 in Garrett County, Maryland. In June 1945 Western Union placed an option to purchase a 0.236 acre outparcel in property owned by Clarence and Ella McKenzie on or before 29 November 1945. Western Union paid the McKenzies $20.00 for the option to buy the land for $210.00. On 26 November 1945 Western Union exercised its option to buy the land on which they built a 120′ tower at an elevation of 2,800′ above mean sea level. The company held the site for nearly twenty years, selling it to the Maryland State Police in February 1967 for $12,000.00. The site in 2003 was owned by the State of Maryland and it remains in use as a police antenna support structure.
The tower, cab, and building were intact in 2003. The tower has been altered by the addition of whip antennas and the equipment building has been clad by vinyl.
© 2010 David S. Rotenstein