Western Union microwave relay sites survey: Part XII
Site Name: New Brunswick
Call Sign: KEA74
State: New Jersey
Municipality: Franklin Township
Address: 63 Old Georgetown Road
Type of Facility: Relay
Original Tower Height: 100′
This relay site in Somerset County originally was leased by the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) in November 1944. It was one of the first two experimental sites established in the New York-Philadelphia network.
In 1949 Western Union executed a five-year lease with owner Selma Anderson after succeeding RCA as the site operator. The lease was renewable and it is unclear when Western Union abandoned the site. Anderson sold the property, including the former Western Union tower, in 1967 to Albert Broda who continued to rent the site to telecommunications companies until 1970 when he sold it to Trans-Communications Enterprises, Inc. Trans-Communications subsequently merged with Transportation Microwave Corporation, which in turn was acquired by Southern Pacific Communications Company. In 1983, GTE acquired the company and its assets, including the New Brunswick relay site. In 1985, GTE – then doing business as GTE Sprint Communications Corporation – sold the site to AAT Communications. The property’s current owner, Tower Broadcasting Corporation bought the site in 1997.
The site in 2003 was occupied by a 274′ self-supporting lattice telecommunications tower. According to FCC Antenna Structure Registration database records, the current tower was constructed by AAT in 1999.
© 2010 David S. Rotenstein