The Montgomery County, Maryland, Josiah Henson-Uncle Tom’s Cabin Links Roundup
Created December 10, 2010. Updated February 8, 2011.
Historian for Hire Blog
- Montgomery County Executive denies access to “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” archaeology reports (February 8, 2011)
- A Cabin’s Tale: The two sides to Montgomery County’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin (December 1, 2010)
- Montgomery County Council responds to “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” blog post (December 8, 2010)
- Montgomery County employees working on PR, not parks, letters to newspapers show (November 24, 2010)
- Montgomery County refuses to release “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” records (November 13, 2010)
- Historian for Hire Interviewed on The Takeaway (October 5, 2010)
- Were MoCo and MD State government officials and the press duped in 2006 about the real “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”? (October 25, 2010)
- Unmaking Uncle Tom’s Cabin (August 24, 2010)
The National Trust for Historic Preservation Blog
- “Uncle Tom’s Cabin: Beyond History and Interpretation to the Internet.” Guest blog written by Montgomery Preservation, Inc., members Eileen McGuckian and Judy Christensen. (November 30, 2010)
- Comments on “Uncle Tom’s Cabin: Beyond History and Interpretation to the Internet” by David S. Rotenstein. (December 1, 2010)
- Preservation Round-Up: Snafu! Edition (October 4, 2010)
The Washington Post
- After buying historic home, Md. officials find it wasn’t really Uncle Tom’s Cabin, The Washington Post (October 4, 2010, P. B1)
- Comments posted at the Washington Post Website after the publication of the October 4 story.
- A $2 million history blunder? Washington Post Website, October 5, 2010.
Montgomery Preservation, Inc., Website
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin (November 23, 2010)
Montgomery County Government
- Montgomery County Parks Department Josiah Henson Park “Media Center”
- The “Real” Uncle Tom. Uncle Tom’s Cabin Reconsidered blog.
- Gray lit update: Montgomery refuses to release “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” records. ArchaeoBlog, November 11, 2010.
- Local Historian Urges Historical Accuracy, Bethesda Patch, November 1, 2010.
- “Doubt Over Building Thought to Be Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” Underground Railroad Free Press, November 2010.
- Not quite ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin,’ but maybe something better … (Seth Trainor, Pennsylvania State University)
- Fudging the truth: a tradition as old as Uncle Tom (Stephen Marche, Toronto Globe and Mail)
- Jay Hancock’s Blog, The Baltimore Sun. Montgomery County buys the wrong cabin (October 4, 2010)
- Hi-Fi Bri Blog: Uncle Tom’s Cabin Is Actually A Kitchen (November 2, 2010)
- Maryland Real Estate Blog: When the Historic Home is NOT Historic
- Famous Maryland Cabin Did Not Belong to ‘Uncle Tom’. The Takeaway, Public Radio International (October 5, 2010)